Rodd Island, located in the sheltered waters of Iron Cove, just off Birkenhead Point, has a colourful history and boasts some of the best views west of the bridge. This perfect picnic spot is in the farthest west of the harbour islands within Sydney Harbour National Park.
You can walk through the expansive gardens, gaze at the spectacular scenic harbour views, and explore the historic buildings, including a dance hall and two summer houses. In 1879, it became the first public recreation reserve in Sydney Harbour. It was also used as a biological laboratory and US army training ground during the Second World War.
Rodd Island is a unique venue with an impressive backdrop for weddings and special functions.
Rodd Island can be booked for exclusive use. Availability is from 8am to 8pm during daylight saving, and from 8am to 5pm at other times, seven days a week.
- Wedding ceremonies (max 100 people)
- Wedding receptions (max 100 people)
- Private/corporate lunches (max 100 people)
- Picnics and barbecues (max 100 people, but if the event is for over 50 people the island must be booked exclusively.)
General facilities: picnic tables, flush toilets, drinking water, venue
Venue facilities: electric power
Electric power: 6x 240 volt 10 amp
Other facilities: The island features two picnic tables, a gazebo (capacity 8 people) and two summerhouses (22 people each). The hall is 17.0m long by 5.6m wide and features polished floorboards, a small 2.2m x 2.5m stage and fixed bench seating along three walls.
- Use of the Hall (Hire exclusive use only)
- Tents/marquees. For exclusive hire only. Conditions Apply
- Commercial catering. Conditions apply.
- No kegs.
- Non-amplified music. Must comply with noise pollution laws.
- Commercial photography.
- Personal public address system (for celebrant).
- Amplified/loud music and/or public address systems.
- Candles or other open flames.
- Confetti, rice, petals or similar.
- Domestic animals.
- Vines and other exotic plant material.
- Roping off areas or signs re exclusive event. Only when using the site on a non-exclusive basis.
- Butterfly releases.
- Pegging or staking items into the ground.
- Depositing ice or iced water on grassed areas.
Please note: For further information regarding island hire visit National Parks Website
Phone: (02) 9253 0880 within Sydney, or 13000 PARKS (1300 072 757) for the cost of a local call within Australia (mobiles excluded)
Contact: Mosman (venue information and bookings),
Phone: 02 9337 7016 venues; other inquiries 02 9960 6266